Sunday 10 August 2014

Cyclocross Nationals



CX Nationals. What can I say; it was a pretty eventful weekend. With snow on the Friday night, the pre-race nerves, and hanging with some awesome people.
For the drive up we had a lot of plan changes, who in who’s car etc. In the end it was me, Kim, Lisa and Lisa’s mum in one car and Jonny and Rob Kilvington in the other. As it had snowed on Friday the Rimutakas were only just opened when we headed off. This meant that, Jonny, Lisa and I could have a super quick snowball fight at the top while Kim and Rob laughed at our antics.
I was pretty nervous the night before and warming up- even though there was only one other chick in Under 19.  Also to add to my nerves we were racing with the open women, this meant yet again I was on the start line with Kim. Earlier Kim had told me “Try to beat as many of the Open Women as you can tomorrow.” so naturally I joked back with “Yep, I will try to. I will try to beat you Kim!” I didn’t actually expect to be riding in second open women for half the race.
The race was pretty tough and I was completely dead by the end but the whole experience was amazing. I’d managed to bag a national title, and got 4th in open women. I’ve got to admit, getting lapped by Kim when you’re in second place for open women does not at all feel bad.
Wellingtonians had a pretty good nationals; winning five of the eight titles- Open Women (Kim), Open Men (Brendan Sharratt), Masters 2 men (Ben Knight), and Masters 3 Men (Rob Kilvington). Plus all the other podium positions- Jonny Barnes (3rd in U19 Men), Shane Eagar (3rd Masters 3 men) and Jonty Ritchie (2nd Masters 2 men) and Alex Revell (3rd Open Men) - Just to name a few.
It was an amazing weekend away and it wouldn’t have been possible without all the support I get from everyone. Mum and Dad for funding and just general parental awesomeness.  Kim and Lisa for the ride up there, and all the support they give me.  Ricky, Don and Dave at Mud Cycles for all the help they give me for my bikes! And lastly my brother, Jonny, who was great fun on the trip- even if he beat me in the pizza eating competition.






No comments:

Post a Comment